Statute Of The Asian Regional Section
The Asian Regional Section (ARS) of the International Association for Statistical Computing (IASC) is established by the Council in accordance with art. 12 of the IASC Statutes in 1993 by the name of the East Asian Regional Section (EARS) and the name is changed to the Asian Regional Section in 1998. It is composed of the members of the IASC residing in Asia.
The mission of the ARS is to promote Asian co-operation in pursuing the aims of the IASC. In particular the IASC-ARS will, in the Asian context, aim to further the progress of the theory, methods, and practice of statistical computing and to foster interest and knowledge in effective and efficient statistical computing through international contacts among statisticians, computing professionals, organizations, institutions, governments. To achieve its mission the IASC-ARS may:
- organize international or regional seminars, conferences, meetings. In particular, the ARS shall be responsible for arranging Asian meetings on computational statistics, which are abbreviated to IascAsian meetings hereafter;
- promote research and training programmes on theoretical and practical aspects of computational statistics;
- foster evaluations of statistical computing techniques and programs;
publish scientific periodicals and books, reports and newsletters, independently or in cooperation with other organizations;
collaborate with other bodies having similar objectives.
The principal organs of the ARS are:
- The Regional Assembly;
- The Board of Directors (BoD);
- The Officers of the BoD.
(1) The Regional Assembly
The members of the ARS, in accordance with art. 1, assembled at a meeting or casting their votes by e-mail on questions referred to them constitute the Regional Assembly. The decisions of the Regional Assembly shall be made by a majority of votes cast at a meeting or by e-mail. Each individual member has one vote. A Regional Assembly will be convened normally not less than once in two years and, if possible, conjointly with IascAsian meetings.
(2) The Board of Directors (BoD)
The BoD shall consist of:
- The Chairperson;
- The Chairperson-Elect;
- The past Chairperson of BoD;
- Individual members (at most 20 members, half of them will retire every two years);
- Advisors, who can attend the BoD meeting as observers.
The Chairperson-Elect and the individual members of the BoD shall be elected by and from the membership of the ARS. The period of membership will be four years; BoD members will not be eligible for immediate reelection. No more than six BoD members shall be from the same country. To ensure continuity the Chairperson will remain a member of the BoD for the two years after his/her chairpersonship.
The BoD shall promote the objectives of the Association, administer the affairs of the ARS and, for these purposes, shall:
- elect the ARS Scientific Secretary, the Treasurer;
- appoint committees, working groups, etc. for assigned tasks and delegate its power to such committees or to one or more officers or members of the BoD for assigned purposes;
- appoint necessary staff and incur necessary expenditure for the work of the ARS.
The BoD shall conduct its business at ordinary meetings to be held during the IascAsian meeting on computational statistics or at special meetings or by e-mail as and when necessary. At least one month's notice of a special meeting shall be given to all members of the Board of Directors. The quorum of the BoD shall be 1/2 of the members including proxy members. Proxies have to be IASC members. The BoD will decide its rules of procedure with a simple majority.
The President of the IASC will take part at the BoD meeting ex officio. The Director of the ISI Permanent Office shall be informed about each meeting of the BoD and shall receive the minutes of these meetings.
(3) The Officers of the BoD
- The officers of the BoD (the Chairperson, the Chairperson-Elect and the Past-Chairperson, the Scientific Secretary) are members of the BoD. The term of office shall be two years. The Chairperson-Elect is elected by ARS members according to the art.7.2 below. Upon the expire of his/her term of office the Chairperson-Elect will assume, the duty of Chairperson for the following two-year term. The Scientific Secretary shall be elected by and from the BoD-membership.
- The Chairperson shall represent the ARS on all the official occasions and shall preside over the meetings of the Regional Assembly and the BoD and, shall have general responsibility for the execution of the policies and decisions of the Regional Assembly and the BoD.
- The Officers shall assist the Chairperson in the formulation of the policy of the ARS and in all other important decisions.
- The Scientific Secretary shall be responsible, under the guidance of the Chairperson, for co- ordination of the ARS-activities involved in arranging conferences, courses and publications. The Scientific Secretary shall be also responsible of the preparation of BoD meetings and Regional Assembly including the preparation of reports, the recording of minutes of meetings and shall circulate to BoD members all required materials.
- In order to insure the continuity of management of the ARS, the Chairperson shall keep the Chairperson-Elect closely informed with respect to all relevant management and policy activities. The Chairperson-Elect shall utilize his/her term to get acquainted with the business of the IASC-ARS.
- At the conclusion of their term of office, it shall be the responsibility of the Chairperson and the Scientific Secretary to prepare a comprehensive report to the ARS about its activities during the previous two years (or since the last report). This report shall be presented to the Regional Assembly at the ordinary meeting of the ARS, at which time the outstanding funds and the relevant correspondence shall be transferred to the new Treasurer and the new Scientific Secretary.
Elections of the BoD and Officers
- During the year prior to an election, the BoD must set up an Election Commtiee (EC). The Committee will invite all members of ARS to suggest candidates for the BoD as well as for the Chairperson. The Committee shall prepare a list of candidates for the BoD which shall include: - all candidates who have been nominated at least by five ARS members; - additional members proposed by the EC in order to assure a sufficient geographical representativeness. The EC will also indicate candidates for the position of Chairperson-Elect, chosen among prominent scientists in the field of Computational Statistics. Candidates must have expressed their willingness to serve on the BoD.
- The elections will be held every two years. The election shall be held by ballot based on votes at a regional assembly or by e-mail.
- The ARS Treasurer and the Scientific Secretary shall be elected by the BoD with vote in occasion of ordinary BoD meeting held during the IascAsian meeting.
Financial resources of the IASC-ARS shall consist of part of conference fees, conference and courses benefits if any, publications royalties, gift and legacies, grants from public or private bodies, any other sources.
The BoD shall have power to draw up By-Laws for purposes mentioned in the Statute. The By- laws of the IASC-ARS shall not contain any regulation which contravenes to the IASC and IASC-ARS statutes.
Amendments of the Statute and By-Laws
- Proposals to amend the ARS-Statute and By-Laws may be made in writing to the Chairperson by any five members of the BoD or by any ten members of the ARS.
- An amendment to the Statute shall take effect if it is approved by at least two thirds of the members of the BoD, and by the Executive Committee of the IASC. Any change in the By-Laws shall be decided by a two-thirds majority of the votes cast in the BoD.
- The approved amendments shall be published in the newsletter of the IASC.
By Laws Of The Asian Regional Section
Members of ARS are all IASC regulars members (institutions and individuals) residing in Asia without any restriction on number.
An institutional member shall be entitled to designate a representative who may attend meetings of ARS and take part in the activities of the association with the same privileges as the individual members.
Individuals or institutions who are not members of the IASC and are interested in the activities of ARS may become members by applying and paying any prescribed dues to IASC.
The business transactions of the Regional Assembly shall include:
- consideration and adoption with or without modification of reports of the Chairperson, Scientific Secretary and others of the BoD on the activities and finances of the ARS;
- election of Officers and members of the BoD among the candidates proposed by the Election Committee;
- consideration of reports of any committees appointed by the Regional Assembly, and proposals regarding policy and programmes of the ARS;
- all other business necessary for the promotion of the objectives of the Association.
A notice specifying the place, date, time and the agenda of a Regional Assembly shall be communicated (by e-mail or IASC-newsletter) to all members of the ARS not less than three months before the date of the Regional Assembly.
The BoD shall meet every two years, in occasion of IascAsian meetings. If possible, the BoD meet twice during the IascAsian meeting, the first meeting of the outgoing BoD and the second a meeting of the incoming BoD. To assist in the transition, all members of both BoD are encouraged to attend both meetings.
The BoD shall hold an interim meeting, if possible, midway between the IascAsian meetings. This meeting may coincide with a regional meeting cosponsored by the IASC-ARS. Decisions of the BoD required between meetings may be taken by e-mail.
The BoD members who are unable to attend meetings are encouraged to appoint a representative who may attend and speak at the meeting in the member's place, but who may not vote on questions before the BoD.
When an issue arises that would normally be dealt with by BoD but which requires action before an e-mail vote or the next BoD meeting, the Chairperson shall be empowered to act on behalf of the BoD. In doing so, the Chairperson shall consult with the Officers and members of BoD to the extent possible, and shall submit the action for confirmation by BoD as soon as possible.
In the Chairperson's absence its roles shall be filled by the Chairperson-Elect or by some member of the BoD nominated by the Chairperson. If no member of the BoD is able to be present at a meeting organized or sponsored by the ARS, the Chairperson may nominate a member of the ARS to act as his/her representative for that occasion and to maintain liaison with the Scientific Secretary.
If the chairpersonship becomes vacant or the Chairperson is for any reason unable to fulfill his/her responsibilities, the Chairperson-Elect shall serve for the remaining term of the Chairperson or until the Chairperson shall again be able to serve, as the case may be.
If, for any reason, an office becomes vacant, a new officer shall be nominated by the Chairperson and approved by the majority of the BoD.
The Election Committee (EC) shall consist of four members who shall be selected among the members of the BoD. The BoD shall designate one member of the Election Committee to act as Chairperson.
The first step of the election procedure shall consist of the preparation of the list of nominations. In order to obtain suggestions by the ARS members a call for candidature must be sent out via e-mail or on the web site of the ARS by the EC at least six months before the date of the election in the Regional Assembly.
The list of nominations along with short biographical details of the candidates (i.e. present position, membership in international societies, service to statistics of international level, special field of statistical work) shall be informed to the ARS members at least three months before the election. The election shall be held by ballot based on votes at a regional assembly or by e-mail.
The BoD and membership of the ARS shall be notified of the result of the elections.
No gift or legacy may be accepted unless approved by the BoD.
The funds of the IASC-ARS may be used to meet the normal operating expenses of the BoD, the expenses of conferences, courses, publications, and other activities of the ARS.
Officers and members of the BoD shall serve without compensation. They may be reimbursed for travel expenses associated with official functions.
The BoD may authorize the provision of grants or financial assistance for research or developmental projects consonant with the objectives of the Association. The BoD is expected to maintain reserves sufficient to meet prior commitments; it may transfer funds to assist activities of IASC.
Any expenditure of funds shall be for a purpose consistent with the statutes and by-laws, and shall be authorized by the Chairperson. Recurring expenditures for the same purpose may be authorized by the Chairperson on a continuing basis. The Chairperson may revoke such a continuing authorization. If the appropriateness of the expenditure might reasonably be questioned, the Chairperson shall submit the matter to the BoD for approval.
The Treasurer shall make suitable arrangements for signing contracts, agreements and other relevant documents, for maintenance of bank accounts, etc. and for all procedural matters relating to transactions, meetings, conferences, publications and other activities of the ARS.
At each ordinary meeting the accounts of the outgoing Treasurer shall be audited, consistently with the practices and standards of the ISI, by two members of the ARS and their report shall be presented to the BoD for acceptance by a majority of votes.
VII. Scientific meetings and publications of the ARS
The BoD may arrange seminars, summer schools, conferences, etc. and other programmes on its own responsibility or in collaboration with other organizations.
Ordinary meetings of the ARS (i.e. IascAsian meetings) shall be convened normally every two years. The ordinary meeting of the ARS shall be held at such times and places as the BoD may direct.
For IascAsian meetings as well as for each official meeting (seminar, summer school etc.) of the ARS the Chairperson in consultation with the BoD shall appoint a Scientific Program Committee (SPC) and a Local Organizing Committee (LOC). In order to assure a suitable coordination between, SPC and BoD at least one member of the BoD should be appointed as SPC member. SPC and LOC should make brief reports on progress, at least every 6 months, to BoD chairperson.
The LOC (on the behalf of the Host Institution) is responsible for the finance of the meeting (seminar, summer school etc.).
Sponsorship can be given to Asian meetings pursuing the same objectives of the Association under condition that a representative of the BoD be a member of the SPC.
The BoD may make necessary arrangements for publishing in a suitable way the IascAsian proceedings and lectures presented at meetings or summer schools organized or sponsored by the IASC-ARS, or to make arrangements to publish a newsletter of ARS.